I am sorry this is a few days late, but better late then never. Yesterday I sat down at lunch and worked on what I would aspire to complete this month. Well I pretty much ended up planning my monthly aspirations for the rest of the year.
When you make a goal or resolution, one way to complete it is to break it down into smaller projects. This helps to keep it managable and keep you focused on getting it done. So, one of my goals for 2012 is to enter and hopefully win the NGS Family History Writing Contest. You can read about my goals for 2012 here under contest.
The prize of this contest, as it is listed on their website, is as follows:
- The person who compiles the most outstanding family history will receive an expense-paid trip to the next NGS Family History Conference. The benefits include travel to and from the conference, hotel accommodations, conference registration fee, and a complimentary banquet ticket.
- Manuscripts meeting the requirements will be submitted to the editors of the National Genealogical Society Quarterly (NGSQ) for consideration and will be placed in the NGS Library. (Read more about the contest here.)
It would be wonderful to be able to win this prize and possibly be published in the NGSQ! So I will be submitting my entry before the December 31, 2012 deadline and hopefully win an expense paid trip to the NGS Conference of the States in Las Vegas, NV in 2013!
With this contest as one of my goals for 2012, I definately needed to break it down into smaller projects. So part of my Monthly Aspirations for January 2012 is to complete the following:
- Prepare and organize the information I do have on my Luna family line and determine which generations I will submit.
- Analyze the information I do have and determine what information I still need to find out.
- Prepare a research plan that lists what I still need to find out and determine the time frame to get it done, the repositories to visit and the people I need to talk to.
In addition, I also have the following monthly asipriation that are not related to the NGS Family History Writing Contest. They are as follows:
- Writing – Keep up with the Editorial Calendar that I posted about last year (read it here), and post the scheduled items as I had listed on the calendar.
- Indexing – Index a minimum of 10 pages this month. This, hopefully, should be easy to do. If I keep to the 10 pages a month goal, I will accomplish my goal for 2012 of indexing 100 pages by October!
- Research on how to breakthrough brickwalls. Watch webinars, read books, talk to other genealogist who broke through theirs, but I need to break through my Vicenta Luna wall!
So, this is a lot to complete this month but I am confident that I will get it done. I hope you get your to-do list done this month!